I was so taken by the old railway station building that I went back in the morning to take another picture. Unfortunately it doesn't look so good contraluz. It so happened that this was the start of an architectural trail that I had copied from a guide book.
This is the older wing of the Hotel as Américas.
And the newer wing of this art nouveau hotel.
This beautiful facade was on the Rua do Carmo.
The Assembleia Municipal de Aveiro (Municipal Building) in front of one of the canals that give Aveiro the appellation of Venice of Portugal.
Walking back east along the canal I reached the Mercado Manuel Firmino. I would be coming back here later.
Going back the other direction, towards the west and the ocean. I found this pastel building which is the Aveiro Rossio Hostel.
The Museu de Arte Nova.
Looking westward along the canal from the road bridge across it just outside the previously shown Municipal Building.
A gondola carrying tourists.
The canals were used for harvesting seaweed and salt production but those industries have declined so tourism is the main use now.
Now heading uphill on a street south of the bridge, the mural of the municipal plaza.
At the plaza the Câmara Municipal de Aveiro (Municipal Hall).
The theatre, as you can read.
Time for a coffee break nearby with the local traditional pastry, ovos moles. It was tasty and worth searching out, but quite sweet and concentrated, so I still prefer pastéis de nata.
This photo was taken later, in the evening, but the light and shop displays make them seem like jewelry stores, with their treasures, but edible ones at that.
Going back to the market area, the canal is crossed by pedestrian bridges and people have tied lots of love ribbons on them.
A gondola approaching one.
A tamer and smaller version of cruising Venetian canals I suppose.
Nearby is the FNAC Forum Aveiro, a shopping centre.
It has all the usual suspects. The open architecture indicates a mild climate. The restaurant section was air-conditioned though.
Well I like cats but like the hostel in Porto, this has nothing to do with real cats. It appears to be a home furnishings shop.
I explored the market.
Besides a small selection of product stalls, there was a restaurant where I had lunch.
The afternoon was getting warm so I retreated to my hotel room for a siesta, but not before taking a picture of this art deco building across the street.
In the evening, I took myself to the western edge of the city to explore the canal network. It was probably too ambitious to see the ocean as Aveiro is significantly inland and north south highways run in between Aveiro and the ocean, but I hoped to see more of the network.
I looked in on a restaurant said to offer regional specialities but it looked too formal from the menu posted outside. So I ended up at a pasta establishment at the Forum Aveiro. The fettuccine was edible but a bit heavy on lipids.
I wasn't disappointed by Aveiro's sights but an underlying reason for visiting was mention in an expat newsletter that Aveiro could be a good place in Portugal for medium term residents or retirees. I give it high marks for liveability. A drawback is distance from Porto or Lisbon if one wants to travel. But there are many other considerations so it's still just a nascent idea.





























No comments:
Post a Comment