Sunday, 1 October 2023

A Coruña 2

I decided to walk to Praia de Riazor, the beach which is on the other side of the headland from the port and that faces north.

According to climate data it's relatively mild here compared to inland Spain. It can be hot but not excessively in summer and it hardly ever snows in winter. I don't associate the climate of A Coruña with Spain but that's my error. Spain encompasses a wide range of landscapes and climates. I'll have to do something about visiting the communities of Green Spain.


A panorama. It actually doesn't curve around like that, that's due to the panorama taking in 180°.

At the western end of the beach.

Looking back at the city. Apparently it has a larger proportion than usual of high rises.

It gets a bit rocky at the edge of the beach.

There was a sign stating permitted hours for dogs on the beach, and they had just started so owners were taking their pooches for a walk.

The Monument to the Heroes of Orzan. In Jan 2012, 3 policemen attempted to rescue a Czech student in Orzan Bay, but all 4 drowned. It's a reminder that this is the Atlantic Coast and the ocean can get wild.

But today it was calm for people and pets.

Walking towards the headland.


A panorama. Again, it's not really curved like that.

Bathers. The scene reminded me a bit of Concha Bay of Saint Sebastian, in Basque Country, another Atlantic facing beach.

Rounding the headland I came across the Reloj de Pulsera sculpture which translates as wristwatch. But it isn't showing the correct time.

A period lamppost.

In fact the whole stretch is lined with them. In the distance is the Torre de Hércules.

I was a bit lazy and didn't follow the path to the tower, but stayed on the main road rounding the headland.

I didn't take any pictures for the next half hour until I was in the old city and came across this stage for public entertainment.

At Praça de España was an eco themed market.

Organic produce and that sort of thing.

I was tired of western meals so I found a Chinese restaurant and ordered the mapo tofu. It was fairly good.

This is the last picture of the day so I must have had a siesta in the afternoon. In the evening I didn't want to walk all the way to the city centre to dine so I found a Turkish restaurant serving kebabs. It was fairly good and filling.

Thus endeth my 1½ day sojourn in A Coruña. It seems a fairly liveable city to me but one would have to expect some stormy days in winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment